Get your sushi “fix” with this easy shrimp sushi roll salad and a creamy sriracha dressing. Simple, satisfying…and full of spice!
I mean absolutely no disrespect to the talented sushi chefs that I visit so often by creating this recipe. I am a novice playing in an area where I have no business. I know.
But, for anyone who must carefully control ingredients (i.e. egg-free, soy-free and gluten-free friends) or who needs a quick sushi fix and can’t get to their favorite haunt, this recipe is for you. Plus, you can make it vegan too!
Shrimp Sushi Roll Salad – Deconstructed
This salad contains the same types of ingredients often found in a sushi roll, but in a different presentation. I’ve taken quite a few liberties. You won’t need to visit a specialty grocery store or use a difficult technique to make this recipe. It’s not sushi…but it does have:
- “Sticky” rice – Cooked brown rice is tossed with seasoned rice vinegar and chia seeds resulting in a “sticky” rice once it has been refrigerated. It’s not the real thing. If you want to know more about this special type of rice, check out “So What Exactly is Sticky Rice?” on the Huffington Post website.
- Shrimp – Make easy skillet shrimp in under 10 minutes.
- Diced cucumber, carrot and avocado provide the “filling” in this salad. Leave out the shrimp and substitute more vegetables, like blanched asparagus or tomatoes for a vegan version.
- No nori sheets or rolling involved!
The result? A very pleasant, if not mellow, salad. It needs zing!
Enter: Creamy Sriracha Dressing.
Sriracha may have been the “it” thing two years ago…but, I’m still on my first bottle! A little goes a long way, as is the case with this creamy sriracha dressing. It’s a mixture of mayonnaise, sriracha, seasoned rice vinegar and honey. Drizzle a little over the top and you just might feel an immediate jolt in your metabolism!
So, shrimp sushi salad it is…until my next visit to my favorite sushi restaurant. 🙂
Shrimp Sushi Roll Salad with Spicy Dressing
- 2 cups cooked brown rice 1 cup dry
- 2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ pound cooked shrimp chopped
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup cucumber seeded and diced
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 3 Tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise your choice, olive oil based, low calorie, dairy free
- 1 teaspoon sriracha use ½ teaspoon for a less spicy version
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- Mix cooked rice, seasoned rice vinegar and chia seeds together in a medium sized bowl. Place rice in the refrigerator until cool or ready to serve.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- When ready to serve, stir shrimp, carrot and cucumber into the rice.
- Top with avocado.
- Drizzle creamy sriracha dressing over the top.
- Serve cold.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL!