I’ve just finished making Ham Quiche Cups…a version of mini quiches that’s as easy and low-carb as Crustless Quiche, that you can make ahead and freeze, and that you can eat on the run. No fork necessary. They are perfect for breakfast on-the-go yet elegant enough to serve at a party.
The genius in this recipe is the not so traditional “crust.”
The cheesy, egg mixture for a traditional quiche cooks up light and fluffy inside a slice of lean ham!
I ran across this idea on Pinterest, of course, and immediately thought it would be an easy, lower-calorie way to enjoy a quiche recipe! Crisp Ham and Egg Cups over at the Comfort of Cooking was the source for my inspiration.
Did the quiche recipe work? Most definitely!
I completely lucked out when I purchased a package of Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh ham for this little cooking adventure because the slices fit perfectly in a standard muffin tin. Should I not have been so lucky, my plan was to pull out a paper muffin liner and cut a circle of ham just a little bigger in size. By the way, it is perfectly okay for some ham to stick up over the edges.
Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray before you put in the ham slices. The filling could be any quiche recipe, but I used my ham and cheese quiche recipe minus the diced ham (the complete recipe is at the end of this post.) Whisk the eggs and other ingredients together in a bowl and spoon about 3 Tablespoons of egg mixture into each ham slice. Use a fork to evenly distribute the cheese, if necessary. Ideally, don’t pour egg on the outside of the ham. This happened on a few so they were not quite as pretty as the rest…although you can knock the egg off the outside of the ham quiche cups once they have cooled and nobody will be the wiser. 🙂
Bake the ham quiche cups in the oven, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top begins to brown too much for your liking, then tent some aluminum foil over the top.
As much as I love the elegance of a beautiful quiche, these little ham quiche cups were delightful to gaze at and eat.
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk (any type)
- 1½ cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 18 slices of thinly sliced ham
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for ham, and stir to combine.
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Fit one slice of ham in each chamber.
- Spoon about 3 Tablespoons of egg mixture into each chamber so that it is ¾ full.
- Use a fork to distribute cheese, if necessary.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top will begin to brown. If it browns too quickly, then tent a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!