Tomato Bacon Quiche with lots of fresh basil. Make two. One to enjoy now and another to freeze and savor when summer's bounty is long gone.
Are there particular fruits and vegetables that take over your counter, either because your garden runneth over...or you were feeling a bit too ambitious at the farmer's market? (Me, me, me at the market!)
Tomatoes and basil. You'll find plenty of these at my house. I always make one to enjoy immediately and another quiche filling to freeze.
If you find yourself with more tomatoes and basil then you know what to do with, then try this tasty recipe. You'll love it because:
- It can be assembled and frozen (before cooking) for an easy meal any time.
- It calls for a healthy whole wheat pie crust or it can be made crustless for a gluten-free, low-carb option.
- It's an Easy Prep/Hands-Off Cooking recipe...and who doesn't love to sit back and relax while a delicious dinner bakes in the oven.
Tomato Bacon Quiche Ingredients
In my mind, this is a "BLT" quiche. After all, it has:
- Bacon - It just can't be a BLT without it. My favorite options are nitrite-free and turkey bacon.
- Pre-cook the bacon in the microwave. Line a microwave-safe plate with 3-4 paper towels, place 2-3 slices of bacon on top, cover with 2 more paper towels. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Check and continue cooking at 30-second intervals until it's done to your liking and then crumble.
- Leafy Basil - Stack, roll and cut into slivers with your kitchen shears.
- Tomatoes - Plum tomatoes are easy to seed and dice. But, any type that is overtaking your kitchen will work.
What do you think?
Crustless or Not?
This gorgeous tomato bacon quiche (if I do say so myself) baked in a prepared whole wheat pie crust.
If you are feeling ambitious, check out this recipe for whole wheat pie crust by Well Plated by Erin, and make your own.
Or, don't use a pie crust at all. This mixture will cook up beautifully, just like this Crustless Asparagus quiche recipe.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom if you make it. We love to see and SHARE what you're cooking up!
Tomato Bacon Quiche
- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk (any type or combination will work. I use a mixture of skim milk and half and half.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- ½ cup bacon or turkey bacon. crumbled
- ½ cup roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, stacked, rolled and cut into thin strips
- 1 whole wheat pie crust 9 inch, preferably whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cheese in a bowl.
- Fold bacon, tomatoes and basil into the egg mixture.
- Pour quiche mixture into a pie crust.
- Using a fork, evenly distribute ingredients.
- Bake quiche uncovered for 60-70 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. The top should be lightly browned and the quiche will continue to set after removed from the oven.
- Allow quiche to sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting.