Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas are a fun twist on this pizza parlor favorite. Flour tortillas are slathered with barbecue sauce, topped with ham, pineapple, red onion and cheese, and then pan fried until everything is melty on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Quesadillas always go over big at our house…they’re festive. And, I love festive, especially mid-week. But, it’s easy to fall into a rut and make the same old ingredient combination over and over and over again. No more!
A new flavor profile has taken over at our house…ham, pineapple, BBQ sauce, red onion, and cheese…and not just on pizza.
Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas Tips
I usually have on hand most the ingredients to make these, which is very helpful for last minute dinner decisions.
- Deli ham will work just as well as leftover baked ham.
- BBQ Sauce – use your favorite.
- Pineapple – fresh or canned.
- Red Onion – thinly sliced or diced.
- Cilantro – is optional…except at our house!
- Tortillas – keep a stash in the freezer and you’ll always be minutes away from Quesadilla night.
And….cheese! Lots of mozzarella cheese.
Mix together any extra pineapple, red onion and cilantro. Stir in lime juice to taste and you’ve got a salsa on the side. 🙂
Coat the outside of the tortilla with olive oil (and a little butter, if desired) and heat the quesadillas in a frying pan until they are crispy on the outside and melty good on the inside. Quesadilla night just got interesting!
- 8 flour tortillas (8-9 inch)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 16 ounces ham, diced (any type, including deli style) or about 1 cup
- 1 cup finely diced pineapple
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced or diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive Oil to coat bottom of pan
- 1 Tablespoon buttter, optional
- Lay 4 flour tortillas on a flat surface and brush the side facing up with BBQ sauce.
- Layer ham, pineapple, red onion, cilantro and cheese on top of the 4 flour tortillas brushed with BBQ Sauce.
- Brush one side of each of the remaining flour tortillas with BBQ sauce and place one flour tortilla, BBQ sauce side down, on top of the flour tortillas layered with ingredients.
- Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with olive oil.
- Butter the outside of the tortillas, if desired, for a crispier quesadillas.
- Cook quesadillas in batches over medium heat, by placing each quesadilla in frying pan.
- When the bottom layer is toasty and the cheese has begun to melt (about 1-2 minutes), flip the tortilla over and toast the other side for a few minutes more.
- Remove from pan and repeat process to make the rest of the quesadillas.
- Cut quesadillas into triangles using a pizza cutter.
Looking for more quick and easy dinner options? Check out what’s on the menu this week and follow the #WeekdaySupper Pinterest board for more ideas.
Monday – Grilled Chicken with Brie and Bacon by Recipes Food and Cooking
Tuesday – Cuban Quinoa Bowl with Grilled Sweet Potato and Plantain and Avocado-Mango Salsa by Caroline’s Cooking
Wednesday – Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas by The Dinner-Mom
Thursday – Taco Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
Friday – BBQ Chicken and Veggies Packets by Our Good Life
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!