It only takes 4 ingredients to make this tasty Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin with Salsa and there are at least 4 ways to use the carnitas meat when it's done!
If ever there was a secret ingredient that can magically transform a dish into something special, with minimal calories or effort, it would have to be salsa. I have several jars in the pantry at this very moment: mild chunky salsa for dipping and to top anything Tex-Mex.
Do you a favorite?
Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin with Salsa Breaks the Rules
My latest obsession is combining salsa and pork tenderloin in the crockpot and I break a few rules in the process.
Pork tenderloin is not the first choice for your crock pot because it's low in fat. But, that is exactly why I love it. (You can, of course, use any cut of pork.) We also use pork tenderloin to make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tenderloin in Blackberry BBQ Sauce. It works...great!
Next, conventional wisdom says you must brown the meat before it goes into a slow cooker for maximum flavor. I tried it both ways on this recipe and I can honestly say I liked it better when I did not brown it first.
By the way, have you seen the slow cookers that switch over to warm when it's done, or better yet, allows you to put a probe in the meat? Those types of crock pots would be perfect so that the pork tenderloin does not overcook!
Finally, it doesn't take a lot of fancy ingredients. Salsa is the workhorse in this recipe. Salsa and pork tenderloin...and lots of onion!
Once you're hooked on the power of salsa, you'll want to try it on chicken too...check out 3 Ingredient Salsa Chicken which is also made in the slow cooker.
4 Ways to Enjoy Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin with Salsa
The carnitas-style meat can be used in so many ways...I count at least 4!
Shred the pork with two forks and stir to distribute the onion and salsa. Stir in black beans and cilantro (if you're a big fan of cilantro like me!)
- Enjoy it on a sandwich bun.
- Make Nachos.
3. Wrap it up Tex-Mex style and add your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese and guacamole.
4. Serve it over quinoa, rice or your favorite grain for a delightful meal in bowl. 🙂
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin with Salsa
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced into rings
- 1 pound pork tenderloin there are usually two pieces in a package, this recipe uses just 1
- 2 cups salsa we used peach
- 15 ounce black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup cilantro choped, optional
- Flour tortillas
- Quinoa or Rice
- Sandwich rolls
- Nacho Chips
- Toppings such as shredded cheese avocado, sour cream
- Place onion rings in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place pork tenderloin on top of onion rings.
- Pour salsa over pork tenderloin.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Using two forks, pull pork apart.
- Stir to mix pork with onions.
- Stir in black beans and cilantro (if using.)
- Can also be served in flour tortillas, over quinoa or rice, nachos or sandwich rolls with your favorite toppings