Monte Cristo grilled cheese is the ultimate sandwich. Ham and Swiss cheese are pressed between slices of bread slathered with cinnamon butter and a layer of raspberry jam. Grill it, top with powdered sugar and prepare to be wowed.
Brunch? Dessert? Dinner? Lunch? I’m not sure there is an occasion when a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich isn’t a good idea!
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and we are in full celebration mode this year. My youngest daughter tried cheese for the first time about a month ago. As a cheese lover, it is still hard for me to fathom. For 12 years it was not a part of her diet because of a food allergy. Well…she tried it and she loves it. Meanwhile, my older daughter could live on a diet of grilled cheese alone. Let’s just say that we are now a family united in our love of this comfort food. 🙂
I can’t think of a more decadent way to celebrate this food holiday than with a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich. This combination, which also shines in Monte Cristo Casserole, is a sentimental favorite around here. But, I’d like to think it’s a little healthier than the deep fried version. A few switches you can make: whole wheat bread, low sugar jam and nitrate-free ham. You can use coconut oil instead of butter too.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices bread any type - I used a whole wheat/white swirl
- 16 slices ham thinly sliced (preferably nitrate-free)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 16 Tablespoons raspberry jam or substitute with strawberry or blackberry
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine butter and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with the butter mixture using a pastry brush.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of jam on the un-buttered side of each slice of bread.
- Build each sandwich by layering 4 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese over the jam on one slice of bread.
- Place the second slice of bread, jam side down, on top to finish off each sandwich.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sandwiches to pan, in batches if necessary.
- Allow sandwich to cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until each side is slightly crisped and golden brown.
- Cut sandwich in half, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.