Monte Cristo grilled cheese is the ultimate sandwich. Ham and Swiss cheese are pressed between slices of bread slathered with cinnamon butter and a layer of raspberry jam. Grill it, top with powdered sugar and prepare to be wowed.
Brunch? Dessert? Dinner? Lunch? I'm not sure there is an occasion when a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich isn't a good idea!
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and we are in full celebration mode this year. My youngest daughter tried cheese for the first time about a month ago. As a cheese lover, it is still hard for me to fathom. For 12 years it was not a part of her diet because of a food allergy. Well...she tried it and she loves it. Meanwhile, my older daughter could live on a diet of grilled cheese alone. Let's just say that we are now a family united in our love of this comfort food. 🙂
I can't think of a more decadent way to celebrate this food holiday than with a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich. This combination, which also shines in Monte Cristo Casserole, is a sentimental favorite around here. But, I'd like to think it's a little healthier than the deep fried version. A few switches you can make: whole wheat bread, low sugar jam and nitrate-free ham. You can use coconut oil instead of butter too.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices whole wheat bread any type
- 12 ounces ham we used deli ham; can also use a turkey/ham combination
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 Tablespoons raspberry jam, low-sugar or strawberry, blackberry; more for dipping is optional
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil, canola oil
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Spread butter on ONE side of each slice of bread and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Spread jam on the un-buttered side of the bread.
- Build each sandwich by layering ham and cheese over the jam. The uncooked sandwich will be buttered on the outside and have all the other ingredients inside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sandwiches to skillet, in batches if necessary.
- Allow sandwiches to cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until each side is slightly crisped and golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut sandwiches in half, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm with extra jam for dipping if desired.
- Low-carb changes: Use bread that is low in net carbs and sugar-free jam.