Healthy Apple Nachos are an easy, no-bake snack or dessert that's ready in minutes. Layer apple slices with granola, chocolate chips, coconut, and more to create the ultimate apple treat!
Who can resist a gorgeous plate of sliced apples drizzled with sweet almond butter (or peanut butter) and loaded with toppings? Kids will devour these when they get home from school. And parents will want in on the action too!
It's the easiest apple snack ever! You don't need baked apple chips for this quick recipe. Just layer slices of apple with your favorite ingredients and create a masterpiece.
We've created an extensive list of toppings to select from. So make your ultimate apple nachos gluten-free, vegan, low-calorie, lower in carbs, or higher in protein, and as indulgent as you would like!
Types of Apples
Select a firm, crisp eating apple that will hold up well when sliced.
I highly recommend sweet and firm Ambrosia Apples. They don't brown the moment they're sliced, making them the perfect "chip."
Other apples that work nicely include Honey Crisp, Royal Gala, Pink Lady®, and Fuji.
How to Prevent Apples from Browning
It's best to enjoy apples as soon as possible after cutting them. According to Epicurious, enzymes from the apple's cut flesh react with oxygen in the air and start turning the apple brown.
To minimize this reaction, squeeze lemon juice or other fruit juice over the apple wedges. The citric acid in the fruit will slow the browning process. Also, minimize the exposure to air by storing them in an airtight container or submerging the apple segments in water.
Wondering what to put on apple nachos? These are the healthy-ish toppings we used :
- Almond butter - Any nut butter, including peanut butter or sunflower seed butter, will work.
- Honey - To sweeten the almond butter. Use agave nectar or maple syrup to keep this recipe vegan. If nut butter is already sweetened, you can skip this addition.
- Coconut flakes - Use unsweetened or sweetened, depending upon your preference.
- Chocolate chips - Dark chocolate chips are the healthiest choice. Mini-sized chips or chocolate shavings will cover more surface area.
- Granola - Use your favorite type.
- Pomegranate seeds add a special occasion touch. Check out how to Cut and De-Seed a Pomegranate which minimizes mess and stains.
Other toppings you may want to try (some of which are a little more indulgent):
- Raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruit
- Chopped nuts, like pecans, walnuts, or seeds
- Apple butter
- Caramel sauce
- Maple syrup
- Crushed pretzels
- Crumbled cookies
- Yogurt dip
How to Make
Here's how to assemble healthy apple nachos:
- Remove the core and cut apples into slices or wedges. We recommend using the thickest setting on a mandolin so the apple slices hold their shape when picked up.
- Arrange apple slices to overlap slightly on several plates or a large platter before adding the toppings.
- Add almond butter and honey to a small bowl. Warm in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Drizzle over the apples with a spoon. Alternatively, spoon the mixture into the corner of a plastic bag, nip the corner, and pipe it.
- Layer the toppings and enjoy immediately.
Storage and Make Ahead Tips
For the best result, we don't recommend assembling apple nachos ahead of time. Instead, gather and prepare the ingredients you will be using.
Apples can be cut ahead of time if necessary. But, coat with lemon water and store in an air-tight bag or container.
More Healthy Apple Snacks
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Healthy Apple Nachos Recipe
- 4 Apples Ambrosia or other sweet, crisp apple
- ¼ cup almond butter Peanut butter, or other nut butter; sunflower seed butter also works well
- 1 Tablespoon honey or agave nectar. If nut butter is sweetened, you can skip this ingredient.
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup granola
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- Slice apples into thin ¼ inch slices (I used the 3 setting on a mandolin.) Apples may by cut into wedges if desired.
- Arrange slices on a platter slightly overlapping pieces.
- Stir almond butter and honey together and warm in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- Drizzle almond butter mixture over apples.
- Scatter remaining ingredients over the apple slices.
- Enjoy right away.
This post was originally posted on 12/4/14 and has been updated to improve the reader experience.