This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Choose nuts for super healthy banana muffins. But, even with chocolate chips, these get a seal of approval. Whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt and lots of sweet banana make these moist and hard to resist and very healthy.
Next time you have two lonely, unwanted, over-ripe bananas sitting on your counter, don't throw them out. When I'm not making Banana Oatmeal Cookies, I enjoy these healthy banana muffins with Greek yogurt. The riper the bananas, the sweeter the result!
Sometimes I freeze bananas that start to go brown for smoothies, or make easy ice cream. But, I'd rather freeze these muffins instead and pull them out for a healthy breakfast or snack.
I hate to throw food out!
Last week I could just tell that two bananas were going to pass their prime before anyone gobbled them up. So, I made up a batch of dry ingredients, the same base recipe that is used for Zucchini Muffins and Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins, and Butternut Squash Muffins with Cinnamon and Apples.
Then, I waited...and watched...and eventually...I enjoyed a nice batch of Healthy Banana Muffins.
How to Make Healthy Banana Muffins
I've come up with a master healthy muffin mix that can be adjusted depending upon the occasion. You'll find whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour and Greek yogurt instead of oil. Then, we sneak in something special that keeps it healthy and moist.
In this recipe, banana is the star and it naturally sweetens the muffin so less sugar is needed too. We often opt for a stevia/sugar blend to keep the sugar content low.
Mini chocolate chips, walnuts or both can be added. My crew loves chocolate and it won out the banana muffins pictured.
Tip: Liberally spray the muffin tin liners to prevent sticking. Because oil is not used, these are prone to sticking, unless this precaution is taken.
I'll take two please!
These would store well in the freezer. But, I never get the chance to freeze any. The recipe makes about 8 muffins. Next time, I'm going to leave an entire bunch of bananas sitting on the counter. 🙂
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Healthy Banana Muffins with Greek Yogurt
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup Stevia Blend or ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup banana mashed, about two ripe bananas
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Stir banana, egg and yogurt into the dry mix.
- Fold in nuts or chocolate chips.
- Fill muffins tins lined with paper liners or coated with cooking spray about ⅔ full. (Tip: If using paper liners, spritz them with cooking spray too!)
- Bake for 20-25 minute or until the muffins are firm and lightly browned on the top.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool further.