Our Low-Carb Cloud Bread seems too good to be true! But it's not. We made some adjustments to the Tasty recipe phenomenon that made it DELICIOUS!
Yep. We're screaming over this one! You'll be on Cloud Nine over this Low-Carb Cloud Bread recipe, especially if you're looking for low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free alternatives to bread. You'll want to check out Keto Chaffles too!
And, we are no stranger to the challenge of cutting carbs and still enjoying our favorite dishes. Spaghetti squash pizza crust, cauliflower pizza bites and zucchini noodle crusted pizza replace traditional flour dough crusts most of the time.
What sets this "bread" apart from the other fake-outs is the look, texture and the fact that they are high in protein. Cloud bread is light and airy, yet firm enough to be a sandwich bun, pastry, toast or pizza. It just looks like a round of bread. 🙂 It can even be adjusted to make a sweet treat like Blueberry Cloud Bread Danishes!
What does cloud bread taste like?
Cloud bread tastes like extremely fluffy eggs. It does not taste like bread at all. The flavor profile makes sense since the main ingredient is eggs. They are stiffened and typically combined with cream cheese, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt.
We loved the concept but really ached for something a little more flavorful than the 3 ingredient recipe we tried from Tasty. Our mission became making the very best cloud bread...a savory version that was tastiest enough to be eaten all alone or the perfect stand-in for a bun or pizza base.
Here's a preview of the process to make low-carb cloud bread. Separate 3 eggs. Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until they are stiff. Combine the egg yolks with ricotta cheese, salt and fresh garlic (or garlic powder.) Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Make rounds of batter on a parchment-lined baking sheet using about ¼ cup of batter for each. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
A few pointers for making this version of carb-free cloud bread:
- Ricotta cheese is one of many fillings that can be used. Cottage cheese and cream cheese are also options. We like ricotta cheese because it's smooth and doesn't require any processing first. It gives the rounds a nice flavor.
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder gives the bread a savory boost. We love using fresh. Start with 2 garlic cloves...and go up from there depending upon your taste.
- It's important to work quickly once the egg whites are nice and stiff, which is why we prepare the yolk mixture first.
- Don't double the recipe unless you have 2 ovens! The batter won't wait and should be used right away.
The final result should be browned on the top and fluffy inside! Like this...
More Keto Recipes
Please rate this recipe below and tag @DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Low-Carb Cloud Bread that's DELICIOUS!
- 3 Tablespoons ricotta cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves pressed or minced or ⅛ teaspoon garlic
- 3 eggs large
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Add ricotta cheese, salt and garlic to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Separate eggs placing the yolks in the bowl with the ricotta cheese and placing the whites in a separate clean bowl.
- Stir egg yolks into ricotta mixture and set bowl aside.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat at high speed until peaks form, usually about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold egg whites into ricotta mixture, being careful not to stir too much and deflate the egg whites.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter to make 1 round. About 6 rounds will fit on each baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is browned.