This easy Chocolate Chaffle Recipe is keto, low-carb, and gluten-free. It's a sweet, crispy waffle made with ricotta that everyone will love for breakfast or dessert.
Craving something sweet and decadent? A chocolate version of the classic keto chaffle recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth. Dress it up with fruit, nuts, and chocolate chips for an impressive presentation.
We called it a chaffle because it's made with an egg and cheese. But, it's also just a healthy chocolate waffle made with ricotta. No matter the name, everyone will love this tasty recipe.
Ingredients and Variations
Here's what you'll need:
A few notes on the key ingredients:
- Almond flour (blanched.) You can use coconut flour instead. We tried it with 1 Tablespoon instead of 2. It tastes great either way. However, it's a little softer to remove with less flour.
- Ricotta cheese or softened cream cheese can be used.
- Use your sweetener of choice! We linked to the brand we loved. Add a little more sweetener if desired depending upon your sweet tooth.
You can add chocolate chips to the batter if desired!
Best Waffle Maker
We used the Dash Mini Waffle Maker to make this recipe. It affordable and stores easily because it's so small. It's my new favorite appliance.
A regular-sized or Belgian waffle maker can be used instead! You will need to adjust the amount of batter used depending upon the requirements of the model.
Directions with Pictures
Here's how to make chocolate chaffles in a mini waffle iron:
- Preheat the waffle iron. Stir egg, ricotta, almond flour, cocoa powder, and sweetener together in a small bowl.
- Open the waffle iron and mist it with cooking spray. Transfer ¼ cup of batter (which is about half) into the waffle maker and spread it out.
- Note: If desired, use a silicone spatula to spread the batter to the edges of the waffle maker for a nice, clean edge. This is just for looks. It will taste great either way.
- Allow the chaffle to cook for about 4 minutes. Gently remove with silicone tongs. They may be a little soft at this point. They will continue to crisp and firm for a few minutes after you remove them. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter!
- Allow the chaffles to rest for several minutes and then top as desired and enjoy.
How do you know when it's done?
When the steam stops escaping from the sides of the waffle maker, it's done! It takes about 4 minutes in the Dash waffle maker. You can check at about 3 minutes without causing any harm.
This version of the egg and cheese waffle tends to be softer when you first remove it. But, it does firm up quickly. While you can leave chaffles made with shredded cheese in a little longer than necessary without any problem, I find that the one's made with soft cheese are more inclined to burn if you leave it in too long.
Storage and Reheating
Store - Place chaffles in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat - Reheat in a toaster oven, toaster or air fryer. The microwave is not recommended.
Freeze - Chaffles may be frozen in an airtight storage container up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen or after defrosting in the refrigerator overnight.
More Keto Recipes
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Easy Chocolate Chaffle Recipe
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons ricotta cheese or softened cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon Stevia Blend Add ½ Tablespoon more for extra sweet
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Flour may use 1, but result takes longer to firm up. May use coconut flour instead.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Note: The instructions assume you are using a mini waffle maker, like the Dash. See notes if you're using a regular-sized or Belgian waffle maker.
- Stir egg, ricotta cheese, cocoa powder, sweetener, and almond flour together in a small bowl.
- Open the waffle iron and mist it with cooking spray. Transfer half the batter (about ¼ cup) into the waffle maker. Use a silicone spatula to spread the batter to the edge of the well for a clean edge.
- Allow the chaffle to cook for about 4 minutes or until the steam no longer escapes from the sides. Gently remove with silicone tongs. It will be a little soft. The chaffles will continue to crisp and firm up for a few minutes after you remove them.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Enjoy!
- Different Waffle Maker - If using a different type of waffle maker then follow the directions for your appliance. The general process works the same way. I've made these in a Belgian Waffle Maker and was able to use all the batter at once.
- Store - Place chaffles in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in a toaster or air fryer.