This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Monte Cristo Casserole recipe made with French toast is a popular overnight breakfast recipe that can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or the freezer until you're ready to enjoy it.
It's inspired by a dish that was popular at Bennigan's! They have a sandwich with ham, turkey, and cheese that is fried and topped with a raspberry sauce...it's indulgent.
It's absolutely delicious, just like a Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwich. But it's fancier and indulgent because it starts with pre-made frozen French Toast.
It's perfect for a special occasion like Mother's Day or big holidays like Christmas or Easter because you can make it the night before. And just like overnight hash brown breakfast casserole, it's sure to wow!
In this version of Monte Cristo Casserole, deli meats and Swiss cheese are mixed with frozen cinnamon French toast sticks that have been cubed, which is a big time-saver.
Everything bakes in a creamy egg mixture, and the dish is finished with powdery confectioner's sugar, jam, and fresh strawberries.
To begin, cube frozen French toast sticks. No need to defrost them first.
Next, cube 1 cup each of ham and turkey. I usually ask for a ¼ inch thick slice from the deli counter.
Shred 1 cup of Swiss cheese.
Chop about 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley if you have it...it adds color, flavor, and perhaps a little good luck. I read that dishes in Italy are blessed with a sprinkling of parsley dust.
You can never have enough blessings!
Layer everything in a baking dish. Don't stir or toss the mixture...if you do, the ham, turkey, and cheese will plunge to the bottom.
Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl and evenly pour the egg mixture over the top. Bake, uncovered, in a 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg sets.
The house will smell wonderful, and at this point you may want to dive right in. Resist. It's best to wait about 10 minutes before serving so everything settles and firms up.
Isn't it gorgeous topped with powdered sugar, fresh strawberries, and a little chopped parsley?
Serve it on your best china and enjoy!
More Brunch Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Monte Cristo Casserole Recipe
- 20 ounce box of cinnamon French toast sticks cut in cubes
- 1 cup deli ham diced
- 1 cup deli turkey diced
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Pint strawberries
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare French toast sticks, ham, turkey, Swiss cheese and parsley as indicated in the ingredient list.
- Layer the first 5 ingredients in a 9 x 12 baking dish in the order listed.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over ingredients in the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until egg mixture sets.
- Remove from oven and allow casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Hull and slice strawberries.
- Cut into squares.
- Top with powdered sugar and strawberries.
This recipe was originally published on February 13, 2013, and has been updated to improve the reader experience.