This Monte Cristo Casserole recipe was a popular brunch recipe at our Make Ahead Meal Store. It’s inspired by a popular dish at Bennigan’s! They have a sandwich with ham, turkey and cheese that is fried and topped with a raspberry sauce…it’s indulgent.
It’s absolutely delicious just like a Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwich, but so much easier to make because it starts with pre-made French Toast.
It’s perfect for a special occasion like Mother’s Day, an anniversary or around the big holidays like Christmas or Easter. And, it’s sure to wow!
How to make a Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole
In this version, deli meats and Swiss cheese are mixed with frozen cinnamon French toast sticks that have been cubed, which is a big time-saver. Everything bakes in a creamy egg mixture and the dish is finished with powdery confectioner’s sugar and fresh strawberries.
To begin, cube a 20 ounce box of frozen French toast sticks. No need to defrost them first.
Next, cube 1 cup each of ham and turkey. I usually ask for a 1/4 inch thick slice from the deli counter.
Shred 1 cup of Swiss cheese. Chop about 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley…it adds color, flavor and perhaps a little good luck.
Did you know dishes in Italy are blessed with a sprinkling of parsley dust? Yes sir, according to Chef Meg at SparkRecipes. Watch her chop fresh parsley in this video.
You can never have enough blessings!
Layer everything in a baking dish. Don’t stir or toss the mixture…if you do, the ham, turkey and cheese will plunge to the bottom.
Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl and evenly pour the egg mixture over the top. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg sets.
The house will smell wonderful at this point and you may want to dive right in. Resist. It’s best to wait about 10 minutes before serving so everything settles and firms up.
Isn’t it gorgeous topped with powder sugar, fresh strawberries and a little chopped parsley?
Serve it on your best china and enjoy!
Note: This recipe was originally posted in February 2013 and has been updated with nutritional estimates.
Video of How to Make Monte Cristo Casserole Recipe
Check out a recap of the process:
Please rate the recipe and #DinnerMom or @DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Monte Cristo Casserole Recipe
- 20 ounce box of cinnamon French toast sticks cut in cubes
- 1 cup deli ham diced
- 1 cup deli turkey diced
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Pint strawberries
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare French toast sticks, ham, turkey, Swiss cheese and parsley as indicated in the ingredient list.
- Layer the first 5 ingredients in a 9 x 12 baking dish in the order listed.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over ingredients in the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until egg mixture sets.
- Remove from oven and allow casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Hull and slice strawberries.
- Cut into squares.
- Top with powdered sugar and strawberries.