The hardest part about making Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup is chopping the onion! When you're done, everything goes in the crock-pot and you'll have a healthy, festive meal when you get home!
The twist in this fajita soup is the quinoa. We've added it before to Black Bean Quinoa Soup and Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili. It gives the dish a protein boost and a hearty feel. There's no need to cook it first either.
Fajita seasoning gives it a Tex-Mex flair, so top your bowl with cilantro, avocado or your favorite Mexican toppings.
We love this recipe for entertaining because it's so easy and who doesn't love a fiesta! It's a variation of Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas with Quinoa.
Spend the hands-off cook time to make a toppings bar with ingredients like sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole and crushed tortillas.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup
To make this recipe simply add all of the ingredients to a crock-pot, set it on high or low, and let the magic begin.
Here are a few tips and variations to consider:
- Chicken does not need to be browned before adding it to a crock-pot. It can be. But, this step isn't necessary. I personally don't like the extra work or mess for this recipe. It has plenty of flavor.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips or cubes. Or add whole pieces and shred it with a fork before serving.
- If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out!
- Add diced peppers if you're a fan.
- Microwave corn on the cob in the husk and add fresh corn just before serving. So good!
- Add a squeeze of lime at the very end.
- Double the recipe for a crowd.
How to Freeze Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup
Buy double the ingredients and make a batch to freeze. Add the uncooked ingredients to a large freezer bag. Seal the bag, removing excess air and label it.
Defrost the bag in the refrigerator overnight when you are ready to cook the recipe. Once defrosted, pour everything into the crock-pot and cook according to the directions.
Enjoy! You might also want to check out Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup which cooks on the stove-top and is ready in under 30 minutes.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1 pound chicken cut into strips
- ½ cup quinoa rinsed
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can; not drained
- 15 ounces black beans 1 can; drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth low salt
- 1 cup onion diced
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Fajita Seasoning
- Add all of the ingredients to a crock pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-9 hours.
- Serve with optional toppings like cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado