Spicy Ranch Chicken Foil Packets filled with confetti vegetables have a festive feel which is exactly why you want them for your next backyard BBQ or campout!
One of our favorite cookout recipes is the type of dinner you might enjoy on a camping trip. It can be grilled or cooked in the oven. Either way, you won't be roughing it!
You'll be savoring chicken slathered with a spicy ranch dressing and topped with an assortment of diced vegetables. They're as tasty as they are pretty!
You'll love this recipe because:
- Each packet is completely customizable right down to the vegetables that go inside and whether it's spicy or not. (Everyone's happy!)
- You can make the foil packets ahead of time and cook them at your convenience.
- You can eat right out of the foil packs. (Fewer dishes!)
They're perfect for a party. After dinner, enjoy s'mores and tell ghost stories!
Ingredients and Variations
The possibilities are endless when it comes to filling up foil packets with chicken and ranch dressing. Here's more information on the basic ingredients:
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - chicken breasts can be used instead and it can be cubed to make it easier to eat with just a fork.
- Ranch dressing - use your favorite store brand. We spiced it up by adding a dash of sriracha sauce. If you don't want the heat, leave it out!
- Vegetables - we added about half a cup of finely diced vegetables to each packet. The type of vegetable and how they are sliced is totally up to you. Leave out the starchy vegetables if you're trying to keep the carb count low. These veggies work great in this recipe:
- Green Beans
The presentation is so pretty and the flavors meld together so nicely. That said, you don't have to go to the extreme. Slice the carrots and cook the green beans whole. We were trying for a rainbow!
By the way, picky eaters just might eat the green beans when they're chopped this small. We used kitchen scissors to cut these.
How to Make a Foil Packet
Use heavy-grade aluminum foil or double layers of regular aluminum foil to make the packets.
- Cut aluminum foil sheets that are about 12 x 18 inches in size. One sheet is needed for each packet.
- For each serving, place a piece of chicken in the center and layer everything else on top.
- Bring the sides up to create a tent and fold the top over so it stays closed.
- Crimp the open edges closed.
Leave room above the chicken for air to circulate.
Let everyone prepare their own foil packet! Make a buffet with all the ingredients.
Tip: Use a marker to label the outside of the foil with each person's name before they get started.
Each person will top a piece of chicken with vegetables of their choosing and drizzle dressing over the top! Fold the packet up and let the grill work its magic.
Ranch Chicken Foil Packs can be prepped ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook them!
Eat them straight out of the foil packet with a plate to support the bottom or pour everything onto a plate.
Caution: Be careful opening the foil. Hot steam will escape and can burn your skin! Yikes!
Are you planning to make these for a camping event? Check out these tips for campfire cooking from Real Simple.
More Grilling Recipes
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom if you make it. We love to see and SHARE what you're cooking up!
Spicy Ranch Chicken Foil Packets Recipe
- 4 sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil cut into 12 x 18 inches in size
- 20 ounces chicken thighs or breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¼ teaspoon Sriracha sauce optional
- ½ cup carrot diced
- ½ cup green beans chopped
- ½ cup plum tomatoes diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup corn kernels
- Lay sheets of aluminum foil on the counter and mist with cooking spray.
- Place 1-2 chicken thighs, side by side, in the center of each piece of aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken thighs.
- Combine dressing and sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of dressing over each portion of chicken thighs.
- Top each portion of chicken thighs with about ½ cup of vegetables
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of dressing over the top of the vegetables.
- Bring sides of foil up to the center to meet and crimp tightly with a small ½ inch fold.
- Crimp sides tightly with a small ½ inch fold, allowing room for air to circulate.
- Place foil packets on the grill over medium high heat.
- Close lid and cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
To Cook in Oven
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Place foil packets on a baking sheet and cook for 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Open packets VERY CAREFULLY to avoid burn from the steam. Eat from packet or remove to a plate to enjoy!
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 °F. For best results, remove one packet and test with a meat thermometer.
- The cook time will vary depending upon the thickness of the chicken. We used chicken thighs which were not very thick.
- Chicken can also be cubed to cook faster and it will be easier to eat straight out of the foil packet.
- To keep the carb count down, limit starchy vegetables like corn and carrots and use more green vegetables.
- Use a marker to label with each person's name if the packets are different!
This recipe was originally published 7/29/2015. It was updated to improve the reader experience.