This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Broccoli Muffins with cheddar cheese and egg have just 4 ingredients that don't include grains or flour! They're a low-carb, keto-friendly snack or side dish.
Are you ready to take a break from making those tasty little Cauliflower Muffins? If so, let me introduce you to our newest obsession: Broccoli Muffins! They're also gluten-free and have just 4 ingredients.
They use broccoli rice instead of cauliflower rice and cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella cheese.
See the crispy brown spots on the sides of the broccoli bites above? That's a little cheese that's crusted. 🙂
They are gobbled up as fast as I make them as in kid-friendly (and adult-friendly too!)
When it comes to vegetables, it's all in the way you package them and what you name them! "Rice" the broccoli and give it a clever name like broccoli bites or tots and I guarantee you won't have any left. It's Public Relations 101.
Follow our guide on how to rice broccoli and freeze it and you'll never wait long for these to come out of the oven.
These are NOT traditional muffins, but these Broccoli and Cheese Muffins do cook in a muffin tin, just like all our Healthy Veggie Muffins. And just like Spinach Feta Muffins and Zucchini Egg Muffins, they are delicious!
Ingredients in Broccoli Muffins
Keep these ingredients on hand and you'll be able to whip up this recipe in minutes:
- Broccoli that has been "riced" or finely chopped.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese that has been shredded. This is a traditional pairing that you can't go wrong with. However, any shredded cheese should work.
- Onion that has been finely diced. White, yellow, Vidalia...any type of onion will work.
- Egg - use a large or extra large egg that has been lightly beaten. It helps hold everything together.
- Salt and Pepper to taste. We use a dash (⅛ teaspoon) of each and sometimes none at all.
Video: Broccoli and Cheese Muffins Recipe
Watch the easy process to make this recipe:
Tips for Sucess
- To rice broccoli, cut it into bite-sized pieces and pulse it several times in a food processor until it's finely chopped.
- Broccoli stalks may be riced too. Use a vegetable peeler to strip away the outer layer of the stalk and then cut it into smaller segments before adding it to the food processor. You can also use the stalks to make Broccoli Stalk Salad instead.
- If you don't want to pull out an appliance, use a knife to chop the broccoli florets into small pieces.
- You will most likely end up with some leftover "rice." Save it for another recipe such as Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Rice by Wholesome Yum!
- Use regular or mini-sized cupcake tins to make this recipe.
- Spray the wells with non-stick cooking spray first. There's no need to use paper liners. But, if you do, spray them too.
- Overfill each cavity of the muffin tin with the broccoli mixture and then press it down. The muffins will become smaller as they bake.
- Prepare broccoli, cheese, and onion ahead of time and this recipe can be assembled in a few minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator for about 3 days in an air-tight container. Reheat for a few minutes in a toaster oven (best result) or for about 30 seconds in the microwave (still pretty good.)
You can enjoy Broccoli Muffins for breakfast too. If you happen to have any leftovers or want to plan ahead they freeze well.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Broccoli Muffins Recipe
- 2 heads broccoli to yield 2 cups of broccoli rice
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 egg lightly beaten; large or extra large
- Salt and pepper to taste optional; we used ⅛ teaspoon of each
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare broccoli rice, wash and thoroughly dry broccoli. Cut florets from stalks. Peel outer layer of flesh off of stalks and cut into small pieces. Add everything to a food processor and pulse several times until broccoli is finely chopped.
- Measure out 2 cups of broccoli rice. Use any excess broccoli rice for another purpose.
- Mix 2 cups of broccoli rice, onion, cheddar cheese (and salt and pepper if using) in a large bowl.
- Stir egg into broccoli mixture.
- Scoop mixture into mini or regular muffin tins coated to prevent sticking. The yield will be about 24 mini muffins or 8-9 regular sized muffins. Note: the mixture settles as it cooks so overfilling the muffin tin is ok. However, you may end up with less than the quantity specified.
- Press mixture down with the back of a spoon or fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until firm and starting to brown.
- Gently remove from tins and enjoy!