Roasted asparagus with balsamic reduction and feta cheese are combined into one fabulous spring side dish! By the way, who knew that it is soooo easy to make a balsamic vinegar reduction!
You know it's spring when...
- It finally stops snowing (it has finally stopped snowing in your neck of the woods, right?)
- End of year exams (or parties) are just around the corner (no more parties here...just a lot of studying!)
- And asparagus become the star of the produce aisle!
Yup...spring, and April in particular, is the best time of year to pull out all your asparagus recipes. 🙂
Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus has always been popular and is perfectly divine. But, I must admit there is a bit of work involved.
On the other hand, roasting asparagus takes no time at all...just 8-10 minutes in a 400 degree F oven.
Use your extra time to make a balsamic vinegar reduction. Honestly, I never knew just how easy it was make this condiment.
How to make a balsamic reduction
Bring twice the desired amount of balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat in a small sauce pan. Reduce the temperature and simmer until the amount is reduced by half and is a nice syrupy consistency. Stir occasionally and don't let it burn. It will take about 30-35 minutes.
Make extra because it can be stored in the refrigerator. Drizzle it over strawberries, watermelon, tomatoes...or the main course!
Sprinkling crumbled feta cheese over the top adds another dimension of flavor to the roasted asparagus.
1. Roasted asparagus
2. Balsamic reduction
3. Feta cheese
= One delicious spring dish!
Roasted Asparagus with a Balsamic Reduction and Feta
- 1 pound asparagus thicker stalks are better, with the hard ends snapped off
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper about ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper--freshly ground is best
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender, but not soggy and slightly browned.
- Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Vinegar should be reduced by half and a syrupy consistency.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over asparagus and top with feta cheese.