This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus is everything you dreamed it would be! Creamy, chocolatey, healthy, easy to make, gluten-free, lower in carbs and delicious!
Once upon a time, I was grocery shopping when I happened across the dessert hummus pictured below in my deli. It's light and airy, with almost a mousse-like consistency. It was yummy and my daughter and I promptly finished it!
Then we bought another and another. And, it was starting to become a very expensive, albeit relatively healthy, habit.
Then, I remembered that we used chickpeas once before (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) in Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites. These sweet bites truly have a cookie dough taste and feel. Oatmeal and flaxseed are added to the dough which becomes firm and easily rolled into little balls or bites.
However, we wanted a smoother consistency for chocolate dessert hummus...something more along the lines of Dark Chocolate Avocado Pudding. Yep. We are no strangers to sneaky, healthy desserts.
So, we got to work! Note that this version is not as fluffy as the one from the store. But, it comes close in taste...and will certainly satisfy the cravings you will inevitably have once you try it for the first time! Your wallet will thank you!
How to Make Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus
As with most hummus recipes, it takes very little time to whip it up. It's really a matter of selecting the proper ingredients. Following are notes on the ingredients used in this vegan hummus dessert recipe:
- Chickpeas - Rinse, drain, and pat the chickpeas dry. Remove any skin that becomes loosened, if desired. I don't go crazy with the last part. Remove anything that is obviously loose.
- Coconut oil - measure out ¼ cup and microwave for about 30 seconds or just until the oil liquefies.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - full of healthy antioxidants!
- Chocolate chips - any type will work including dark chocolate chips.
- Milk - any type of milk will work. We used rice milk. However, coconut milk, almond milk or dairy milk will work as well. For a thinner consistency add small increments of milk after the initial processing.
- Cinnamon - because it adds flavor and will hopefully require less sweetener.
- Sweetener - to taste. We used 2 teaspoons of a stevia sugar blend which is the equivalent of 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Alternatively, use maple syrup or even honey. Each will result in a slightly different flavor profile.
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend. Scrape the sides, give it a taste, adjust if necessary, and blend until it is the desired consistency.
The hard part will be deciding what to enjoy it with!
What Do You Eat With Chocolate Dessert Hummus?
Serve this sweet treat with:
- Pretzels - regular or make Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Fruit, such as strawberries, bananas, apple slices, pineapple
- Graham crackers
- Just a spoon!
How to Store Dessert Hummus
Store brownie batter dessert hummus in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. If the hummus starts to firm-up too much, then heat it for 10-15 seconds in the microwave and stir to soften.
Video: Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus Recipe
Tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media if you make this recipe. We love to see what you are cooking up.
Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus
- 15.5 ounces chickpeas 1 can, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- ¼ cup coconut oil liquefied
- ¼ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips melted
- 2 Tablespoons rice milk or milk of choice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Stevia Blend or 2 Tablespoons or sugar
- Add all of the ingredients (prepared as indicated) to a food processor and blend on low until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Eat with a spoon or serve with pretzels, graham crackers, strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, etc.!