This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mexican Street Style Cauliflower is a low-carb alternative to elote in a cup. Both are delicious and addictive side dishes. But, you can enjoy twice as much of the cauliflower version! It's easy to do when you start with a bag of frozen florets!
If the thought of NOT having Mexican Street Corn is just too much to bear because you're eating keto, then this recipe is for you!
In this remake, charred cauliflower is coated with a creamy, spicy sauce then topped with Cotija or feta cheese and garnish.
It's another recipe that's hard to name! I'm pretty sure it's not offered for sale on the streets of Mexico. It should be though. There's no reason that this veggie shouldn't be doctored up so it's irresistible!
The main ingredient is browned and caramelized cauliflower florets. We used a bag of frozen cauliflower from the grocery store. Just like roasted cauliflower rice from frozen, it's such a time saver!!!
Use an air fryer or the oven to roast it! My rule of thumb? Cooking for a crowd, go the oven route. Need a quick side for dinner? Use the air fryer if you have one!
Either way, follow these tips for roasting frozen cauliflower:
- Do NOT defrost first.
- Use your hands to rub olive oil into the nooks and crannies of each piece.
- Roast at a high heat (450°F oven and 390°F air fryer) so the florets go from frozen to cooked quickly.
- Flip cauliflower pieces in the oven once or frequently shake the basket in an air fryer so that all sides touch the surface and brown.
It can also be grilled (see how to grill cauliflower by A Couple Cooks.) It just can't be a soggy mess cooked in the microwave!
And, of course fresh cauliflower is delicious too!
In the traditional recipe, corn is slathered with mayonnaise and then sprinkled with spices like chili powder and Mexican cheese.
For the cauliflower version, a creamy mixture is made by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic and cayenne pepper.
Make ahead tip: Make the sauce a couple of days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until serving time.
Mexican Street Style Cauliflower is best enjoyed right away! Serve it as a side dish, in a cup or with toothpicks for a fun appetizer.
Cheese options - Cotija, feta or Parmesan cheese
Garnish options - cilantro and parsley
Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream which will up the protein too.
More Cauliflower Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We LOVE to see and share your creations!
Mexican Street Style Cauliflower
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets frozen or fresh; Do NOT defrost if using frozen
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Lime juice
- 2 Garlic cloves pressed
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled or Cotija cheese or Parmesan cheese
- Chopped cilantro or parsley optional garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast cauliflower in an air fryer or oven. If using frozen cauliflower DO NOT defrost first.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 °F or oven to 450 °F.
- Use hands to coat the nooks and crannies of the cauliflower florets with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 20 minutes shaking the air fryer basket or flipping on the sheet pan halfway through.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the sauce. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Add cooked cauliflower to serving bowl and toss with sauce.
- Fold in feta cheese.
- Sprinkle with garnish, if using, and enjoy!
- If using fresh cauliflower florets, it will shave about 5 minutes off of the cooking time.
- Mexican Street Style Cauliflower is best enjoyed right away! Serve it as a side dish, in a cup or with toothpicks for a fun appetizer.
- Cheese options - Cotija, feta or Parmesan cheese
- Garnish options - cilantro and parsley
- Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream which will up the protein too.
- Make ahead tip: Make the sauce a couple of days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until serving time.