Easy and delicious Spaghetti Squash Soup with a hint of turmeric is a noodle-less comfort food that will warm your soul. It’s also perfect for Vegan, Low-Carb, Whole30 and Paleo diets.
The homey feeling is because of the “noodles,” which aren’t actually noodles at all because they are strands of spaghetti squash.
This healthy Spaghetti Squash Soup is a variation of our Homemade Vegetable Soup. With either recipe, you’re consuming lots of vegetables! But, mixing in strands of “noodles” ups the fun factor and this recipe can easily be made into a complete meal by adding chicken, shrimp, tofu or beans.
Main Ingredients in Spaghetti Squash Soup
Here’s the list of ingredients and what you need to do to prepare them:
- Onions, celery, and carrots (a.k.a the “holy trinity” of vegetables) – diced into small pieces.
- Garlic cloves – pressed. Our favorite garlic press will press out the garlic, even with the skin on.
- Spaghetti squash – cooked in the microwave, oven or crock-pot.
- Vegetable broth – keep it healthy by using a low-salt product. Chicken or bone broth may also be used. Using a broth that you’re not familiar with can completely change the way a soup recipe will come out!
- Seasonings – basil, thyme, and pepper
- Turmeric – gets special mention because it adds a bit of zing and also some health benefits as described in this article by Everyday Health. (Shrimp Couscous Paella uses this spice too!)
- Salt – to taste. If you use a very low- to no-salt broth then you may need to add a little.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
First, you will need to cut the gourd in half, which is my least favorite part of this recipe. Poke holes all over the squash with a knife (to allow steam to escape) and microwave it for 1 minute to make it easier to cut the squash in half. This will make the process a little easier.
Next, place each half face down in about an inch of water and microwave for about 5-10 minutes or until the outer skin is soft and can be easily pierced with a knife.
Remove both halves to a plate and use a fork to scrape out the strands.
Unless you buy a very small gourd you may have leftover strands. Use the extras to make Spaghetti Squash Alfredo.
Of course, you can also bake this squash in the oven or cook it in a crockpot! We talk about those methods in the recipe for Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust, which is also a great use of this vegetable.
Video of How to Make Spaghetti Squash Soup
Here’s how to make it:
Make Spaghetti Squash Soup into a Meal
Once you’ve made a batch of spaghetti squash soup, you’re not far from having a complete dinner in a bowl. Here are some proteins we like to add:
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken or Baked Blackened Chicken for Spaghetti Squash Chicken Soup
- Skillet Shrimp for a seafood version
- Tofu – like Quick and Easy Crispy Tofu by the Minimalist Baker
- Roasted Chickpeas, such Crispy Curried Chickpeas
- Any type of beans, like Great Northern Beans or white beans
- Meatballs, like Easy Chicken Meatballs
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you’re cooking up!
Spaghetti Squash Soup
- 1-2 pound spaghetti squash to yield 2 cups of spaghetti squash strands
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 32 ounces low-salt vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon basil dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste depending upon broth that is used
- Poke spaghetti squash all over with a knife to allow steam to escape while cooking. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the microwave and cut in half. Scoop out seeds.
- Place each half of the spaghetti squash face down in a microwave-safe platter with about 1 inch of water. Microwave on high for 5 - 10 minutes or until the outer skin is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove spaghetti squash from microwave, turn each half over so the strands are facing up and use a fork to remove strands to a bowl. Measure out 2 cups of strands and reserve the remainder for another use.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Note the following steps can be started while the spaghetti squash is cooking.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot, except for the spaghetti squash. Note if the spaghetti squash was previously cooked and refrigerated then go ahead add it now too.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti squash and enjoy.