I’m pretty sure zucchini can do just about anything. Act like a noodle? Yup. Hide in a moist brownie? Check. Crisp up like a chip? Absolutely. So, it was no surprise to me that it was spectacular in place of bread in low-carb Zucchini Bruschetta!
It seems the amazing zucchini can conquer just about any challenge and get off being a little boastful at the same time. After all, it is a green vegetable. 🙂
The zucchini takes the role of bread in this recipe. A traditional tomato bruschetta mixture sits atop roasted (or grilled) zucchini. It’s topped with mozzarella cheese…or vegan shreds…or nothing at all. Any which way you make it, it comes out tasty!
The bruschetta is a mixture of chopped roma tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It’s great on a thin slice of grilled bread. (And, there were a few diners at my campsite rooting for this option.) But, I insisted we give zucchini bruschetta the opportunity to shine all alone. 🙂
The zucchini forms the base of the bruschetta. It should be tender, but firm. Cut the slices about a 1/4 inch thick.
It doesn’t take too long to achieve the perfect “doneness.” Place zucchini slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly (very, very lightly) coat the top side with olive oil. Bake the slices in a 375 degree F oven for about 2 minutes. Flip the slices, lightly coat the tops with olive oil and cook 2 minutes more.
Remove the zucchini from the oven and top with the tomato bruschettta mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese or vegan shreds over the top, if desired. Return to the oven for two minutes more.
Enjoy zucchini bruschetta while it’s hot and before it’s all gone!
I was motivated to compile a list of all the terrific zucchini recipes that I’ve seen around the internet from muffins and pancakes to fries. So many recipes, so little time. Sigh…But, I will leave you with one other inspiration that really makes you think outside the box: Grilled Zucchini Nachos by Two Peas & Their Pod.
Amazing. There really isn’t anything this vegetable can’t do!
Low-Carb Zucchini Bruschetta Video
Please rate this recipe if you make it and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
- 6 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves stacked, rolled and cut into very thin slices
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil + scant amount to brush on zucchini slices
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese Parmesan cheese or Vegan shreds, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix together tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl.
- Set tomato mixture aside to blend while preparing zucchini.
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place zucchini slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Lightly brush zucchini slices with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for two minutes.
- Flip zucchini slices, lightly coat with olive oil, and cook for two minutes more. Zucchini should be firm, not mushy.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top of each zucchini slice and then top with shreds, if using.
- Return to oven and bake for two minutes more.
- Enjoy immediately!
Don’t miss a post! Sign up for Email Updates!