Zucchini chips are just 5 quick minutes away when you cook them in the microwave oven. Or, bake a large batch in the oven. Follow these tips to get a quick and perfectly crisped chip no matter how you cook them.
Pictured above are baked zucchini chips. They are papery thin, lightly salted and almost melt in your mouth. It's one of the ways we enjoy this versatile vegetable when we are not making Zucchini Noodle Alfredo, Chocolate Zucchini Brownies or Zucchini Bruschetta.
We love chips around here...check out all the fruits and vegetables we've used to make them in healthy alternatives to chips. And when it's the vegetable variety, well...I can justify eating that variety every single day. The oven is great for large batches, but there is a bit of a wait involved . Then, I discovered you can make them in the microwave.
You read that right! In just 5 minutes cooking time you can have a plate full of crispy zucchini chips.
These are zucchini chips cooked in the microwave oven. They have the same taste as the oven baked ones, but have a slightly different texture. They are tasty too and ready in less than 10 minutes, start to finish.
Zucchini Chips Step-by-Step
Thinly slice the zucchini, preferably with a mandolin. This gadget uniformly slices the zucchini which will ensure that the slices cook the same length of time in the microwave or oven.
If the zucchini slices seem a little wet, then dry them with a paper towel before cooking.
To cook the zucchini in the microwave, place the slices on a microwave-safe plate coated with an olive oil-based cooking spray. Once they are placed in a single layer on the plate, lightly coat the top with olive oil (using a mister, cooking spray or pastry brush) and then lightly season with salt. The emphasis is purposely added. The cooking time will vary and the browning process will be effected by how heavy a hand is used.
Cook the zucchini slices on high for about 4-5 minutes. The length of time will vary depending upon the strength of the microwave, the thickness of the slices and how heavily they are sprayed with oil. It took mine about 4-5 minutes. Watch the first batch carefully.
You'll need several plates for one large zucchini.
To cook the zucchini chips in the oven, lay the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat the tops of the zucchini with olive oil using a pastry brush or mister. Lightly season with salt. Again, the emphasis is added on lightly. Bake the zucchini slices in a 225 degree F oven for about 40 minutes. Flip the zucchini slices, coat with oil and season with salt. Cook for about another 40 minutes. The zucchini slices should be lightly browned.
This is a close up of the microwaved zucchini slices.
These are the baked zucchini slices. Either way...they are delicious.
These are my top 4 tips for cooking zucchini chips:
- Cut the slices evenly, about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Lightly brush or preferably mist with oil. If the oil pools on the zucchini slice, then pat it with a paper towel.
- Use a light touch to season with salt because the slice will become much smaller and the seasoning will become more concentrated.
- Watch the cooking process carefuly and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Video of Microwave Zucchini Chips
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Zucchini Chips in the Microwave or Oven
- 1 large zucchini
- Olive oil or olive oil-based cooking spray
- Thinly slice the zucchini, about 1/4 inch in width, preferably with a mandolin to ensure a uniform width.
To cook in microwave
- Coat a microwave safe plate with cooking spray.
- Place zucchini in a single layer on the plate.
- Lightly coat the top of the zucchini with olive oil.
- Lightly season with salt.
- Microwave on high for about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Watch closely to determine the correct cooking time which will vary based upon microwave, width of slices and amount of oil used.
To bake in the oven
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Place zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly coat the tops of the zucchini with olive oil.
- Lightly season with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Flip the zucchini slices, coat with olive oil and lightly season with salt.
- Bake for another 40 minutes or until zucchini slices are slightly browned.
Check out 15 Other Healthy Alternatives to Potato Chips for more fruit and vegetable chips. If you're a zucchini lover, you'll want to read Zucchini Recipes - 25 Unique Uses for this awesome vegetable.