Let me tell you how you get from cheesy croutons to Parmesan cheese crisps laced with zucchini and carrot shreds. It was serendipity. 🙂
The other day I was baking Parmesan cheese into chips for a tasty salad topping. Meanwhile, I still had zucchini on my mind. I was hoping to squeeze in just one more batch of chocolate zucchini brownies, which uses zucchini shreds, before summer’s end.
Well, the Parmesan cheese crisps were nice, but just seemed a little bit…plain.
Parmesan cheese…zucchini shreds, Parmesan cheese…zucchini shreds. It was bound to happen. I shredded my go-to vege of the last few months and combined the two. Bingo!
I ended up with cheesy vegetable chips or as they have been so named: Parmesan Cheese Crisps laced with zucchini and carrot. It was just a hop, skip and jump to add shredded carrot. I bet there are few others veges that would be a nice addition too.
Tips and Tricks for Parmesan Cheese Crisps
There are just a few things to keep in mind when making these easy little chips:
1) Use fresh Parmesan cheese. Keep some of the grated cheese in longer shreds. I used the Sargento brand Parmesan cheese that you find in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. The combination of “sticks” and grated cheese is perfect.
2) Grate zucchini and carrots and then press out excess moisture with a paper towel.
3) Use twice as much cheese as grated vegetable. The Parmesan cheese is the glue that holds everything together.
4. Drop spoonfuls of the Parmesan cheese and vegetable mixture on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (not aluminum foil) or a silpat mat. If necessary, gently flatten with your finger or the back of a spoon and scoot in any loose pieces.
5. Bake Parmesan Cheese Crisps in a 375 degree F oven for about 8 minutes. The crisps should be sizzling when you take them out and the edges should be starting to brown.
6. Allow the crisps to settle on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer them to a serving plate using a spatula. Crisps will continue to firm up.
7. For my dairy-free friends, the recipe works with vegan shreds!
As for the salad I was making, these Parmesan Cheese Crisps made a wonderful topping. They would nicely complement many soups too. But, they are so pretty and a bit addictive, they proudly stand all alone as a tasty snack.
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded (keep in longer shreds)
- ½ cup shredded zucchini and/or carrots
- Parchment paper or silpat mat
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a paper towel, remove excess moisture from shredded zucchini and carrots.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and shredded vegetables.
- Place Tablespoon size drops of the cheese and vegetable mixture on a baking sheet topped with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Gently flatten mixture with the back of a spoon, if necessary, and move in any loose shreds.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until the cheese crisps are sizzling and the edges are starting to brown.
- Allow crisps to rest on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer them to a serving plate with a spatula. Crisps will continue to harden.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!