There are just 5 ingredients in these Zucchini Fritters with Feta Cheese. It’s an easy, healthy recipe that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
I’ve never met a zucchini recipe that I didn’t love from Spiralized Zucchini Recipes to Zucchini Bruschetta. But, I’m particularly partial to the Greek-inspired combination of feta cheese and red onion that we also used in Zucchini Egg Muffins.
This recipe has been in the works for weeks. But, every time I make these tasty little zucchini cakes, they’re gone before I have the picture.
These cakes are chock full of zucchini shreds, diced red onion, and crumbled feta cheese and a slight aroma of their savory goodness lingers in the air when you make them!
Video of How to Make Zucchini Fritters
Before we get to the tips, here’s a quick video of the process:
Tips to Make Easy Zucchini Fritters with Feta
It’s all about the shreds! Use a grater to make coarse shreds. But, don’t stop there. Get rid of the wetness. Spread the shreds out on a towel, top with another towel and press out the excess liquid.
Secondly, handle the delicate zucchini fritters with care.
- Compress them tightly with your hands into small, slightly rounded balls. (When you drop them in the pan, they will flatten.) Small cakes are easier to work with. These are each about 1/4 cup of the mixture that has been tightly compressed.
- If you have time, refrigerate the patties for a half-hour in the refrigerator.
- Coat the bottom of the frying pan with a very thin layer of olive oil. If you use too much, the zucchini fritters will absorb the oil and become excessively soft and difficult to work with.
- Cook the zucchini fritters for about 2 minutes on each side. Try not to flip them too much. (Did I mention they are delicate?!) They will be browned on the outside. If they seem to be spreading too much, push the sides back in with the spatula.
- Remove cakes to a plate lined with paper towels (to absorb any excess oil.) They will firm up a bit as they cool. Ahem…if you actually do wait for about 5 minutes.
Variation: Substitute carrot shreds for some of the zucchini shreds.
The final result is a little zucchini fritter or cake or patty. Call it what you like. It’s a savory appetizer or put it on a bun and you’ve got a meatless slider.
If you’re lucky you can scoot off to your private corner of the world and enjoy your very own plate of tasty zucchini fritters with feta for lunch (or dinner!)
These are awesome with a little sauce on top too. Check out this Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Joy Food Sunshine.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Zucchini Fritters with Feta Cheese
- 2 cups shredded zucchini packed
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs whole wheat
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Spread zucchini shreds out on a towel.
- Place a towel over the top of the shreds and press out excess water.
- Add zucchini, red onion, feta cheese and panko bread crumbs to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir in eggs.
- Compress about 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture into a small patty.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil in the bottom of a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add zucchini patties to pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. The patties are very delicate. Try to turn only once.
- Remove to a paper plate lined with paper towels and cool for about 5-7 minutes. Cakes will firm-up more as they cool.