Spicy Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits are easy enough for a busy weeknight, tasty enough for company and the perfect recipe for a low-carb, gluten-free diet!
Just because the lazy days of summer are waning and the back-to-school season is knocking at the door, doesn’t mean dinners are destined to become…well, boring! Dinner should still be a time to enjoy tasty food and reconnect. A brief respite from schedules and to do lists. Now that my girls are teens (yikes!) I appreciate this time together more than ever!
However…hectic schedules do call for easy meals and strategies to getter dinner on the table fast!
This month The Recipe Redux is showcasing recipes that will get families back to the dinner table. Check out the links below for recipes that are healthy, delicious, easy and never boring!
Spicy Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits Tips
My contribution this month is spicy shrimp and cheesy cauliflower grits. It’s a makeover of a family favorite.
Instead of hominy or grits, this recipe uses cauliflower “rice.” I am a huge fan of cauliflower rice because:
- It can be processed (in a food processor) into rice and frozen until needed.
- It defrosts quickly.
- It cooks in minutes, and
- It is healthy, gluten-free and low-carb!
The cauliflower “grits” are mixed with sauteed onions, garlic and sharp cheddar cheese and they are delish! I could eat the entire serving plate, except that would be an entire head of cauliflower. So, I share!
The other time-saving feature of this recipe is shrimp. I always keep a bag in the freezer because shrimp cooks in a matter of minutes! These are seasoned with a Cajun spice mix. If you are inclined to mix up your blend, try this one used in spicy roasted chick peas.
We’ve already welcomed the start of the new school year and our schedule is more predictable. But, I’m more determined than ever to keep our dinner rotation healthy and full of fun!
- 1 head of cauliflower to yield 4 cups of cauliflower rice
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun spice
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (we used turkey bacon)
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Cut cauliflower florets from center stalk.
- Process florets in a food processor until they resemble "rice."
- Set rice aside.
- Add shrimp, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and Cajun spice to a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sautee for about 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add cauliflower rice to pan and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir cheese into cauliflower rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Move rice to serving dish.
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook over medium-high heat in a single layer for 3 minutes.
- Stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes more or until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Spoon shrimp over cauliflower rice and top with bacon and green onion.
I hope you enjoy Spicy Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits and be sure to check out all the other delicious recipes below!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!