This Chili's Copycat Monterey Chicken recipe takes minutes to prep. Then, sit back and relax while the chicken smothered with barbecue sauce, bacon, tomatoes and cheese bakes to perfection.
This is one of my hero dishes. 🙂 (Alice Springs Chicken is my other one!)
It's a copycat of Chili's Monterey Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken is coated with barbecue sauce, topped with bacon and, of course, Monterey Jack cheese. Fresh tomatoes and green onions finish this beauty.
When I announce that we're having Monterey Chicken for dinner, I get a hugs, smiles, thank you's...I'm elevated to hero status...at least until it's time to do dishes. It's a nice feeling. Everyone needs a few of these recipes in their life.
You're going to love this recipe because:
- It takes minutes to prepare and then it's all hands-off cook time. Perfect for entertaining.
- You can make it ahead of time and then just pull it out of the refrigerator and bake it. (Also perfect for entertaining or busy nights.)
- It tastes just like Chili's recipe by the same name, but you can enjoy it in the comfort of your home, any time you want!
My other "specialty" dish, as the family calls it, is Alice Springs Chicken. Even though the flavors are very different in each recipe, the easy preparation and unique flavor combinations make them feel like close cousins. If you feel like eating out, but don’t feel like dining out and you don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen either, these recipes have your back!
Monterey Chicken Tips and Tricks
1. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a baking dish and spread your favorite barbecue sauce over the top of each piece of chicken. Use a low-sugar version to keep the dish low-carb.
2. Top the chicken with a sprinkling of traditional bacon or turkey bacon. Use large pieces of bacon or crumbled pieces. I find smaller pieces are easier when cutting the finished chicken dish.
For the easy prep version, cook bacon in the microwave oven. Place several sheets of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Place slices of bacon on top of the paper towels and cover the bacon with several more paper towels. Cook bacon for about 3 minutes and then crumble by hand or with cooking shears.
3. Layer chopped tomatoes on top of the bacon. Plum or roma tomatoes are easy to work with. If using diced tomatoes that are canned, drain them first. Putting tomatoes under the cheese ensures tomato goodness in almost every bite!
4. Top the chicken off with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and bake!
If this is the first time you've tried Monterey Chicken, you'll wonder why you've never tried it before. If you've had it before, then you may wonder why you have never tried this at home!
Monterey Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (traditional or turkey bacon)
- 4 plum tomatoes diced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup green onion sliced thin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with barbecue sauce.
- Top with bacon, tomatoes and cheese, reserving a little of each for garnish if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F and chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with green onions and other toppings if using.
Other Copycat Recipes you might enjoy:
- Panera Macaroni and Cheese by Shugary Sweets
- Bonefish Grill Lightened-Up Bang Bang Chicken or Shrimp
- Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce by CopyKat Recipes
- Silver Palate's Chicken Marbella