Pumpkin Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Spinach gives a delicious fall flare to pizza night. The pumpkin twist comes from creamy, cheesy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce that's used instead of the red kind.
It's the sauce I shared last week served over noodles...the same sauce I made batches and batches of so I could tell you with complete certainty that it was perfect. Luckily it freezes.
This combination is a bit adventurous for traditional pizza lovers. But, you'll be glad you tried it. Next, you'll be inspired to check out Butternut Squash Pizza too. It also uses caramelized onions and is equally delicious. 🙂
Tips to Make THE BEST Pumpkin Pizza
That's not what's happening here!
My youngest dd came up with the idea to use it on pizza and it was SUCH A GOOD ONE! We played with toppings until we came up with a delicious combination that perfectly complements the pumpkin sauce...caramelized onions and spinach.
Follow these tips for the best pumpkin pizza ever:
- Use flat bread for the base to keep the calorie count down. Plus, it will cook very quickly.
- Caramelize the onions. It's totally worth it!
- Plan ahead method - Make a big batch of Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions and defrost a portion for use in this recipe. It will become a 30 minute meal!
- Just in time method - Use a mandolin (or knife) to thinly slice onions and cook them on the stove-top. This method will take about 30 minutes.
- Julienne the spinach so it's thin and pretty.
How to do it: Stack 5-6 spinach leaves on top of each other, roll them and then cut them into thin slivers with a knife or kitchen shears.
- Use our secret sauce - Pumpkin Pizza Sauce! It will subtly add the flavor you are looking for.
Variations for Pumpkin Pizza
Other toppings or variations to try:
- Flavor with sage instead of spinach - I so wanted to love crispy, fried sage on pumpkin pizza and I did give it a try. I wasn't a big fan. But if you think you are and want to try this popular pairing, check out this video on how to fry sage leaves.
- Apple slices or cubes
- Cheeses including Gruyere or Parmesan
- Sausage, ham, prosciutto
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Toasted pine nuts
Have a favorite topping that would work? Add it in the comments!
Use the same ingredient combination on a thin or thick pizza crust! You won't be disappointed.
Video: Pumpkin Pizza Crust with Caramelized Onions and Spinach
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Pumpkin Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Spinach
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 yellow onions sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 4 slices flat bread
- 2 cups Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves stacked, rolled and cut into slivers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil and onions to pan and stir to coat.
- To caramelize onions, cook onions over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Check and turn onions every 5-10 minutes until the onions are brown, but not burnt.
- Prepare flat bread according to instructions. (I pre-baked mine for 2 minutes in a 375 F oven.)
- Spread about 1/2 cup of Pumpkin Pasta Sauce over each slice of flat bread.
- Layer 1/4 of the onions, spinach and mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Return flat bread to the oven and cook for 4-5 minutes more or until cheese has melted.