This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This healthy Spicy Orange Chicken recipe with a zesty orange sauce is ready in 30 minutes. It's an easy dinner that's faster than takeout!
This homemade orange chicken recipe is like a reliable friend who always has your back. It's easy to make, just one pan to clean, and the end result is always the same. Juicy chicken with a finger-licking good sauce.
It's healthy, too. Nothing is fried. Boneless chicken pieces brown on the stovetop, along with any stir-fry vegetables you decide to add.
And the best part? You can dial up or dial down the heat to suit your family's taste buds. It's a perk of making restaurant dishes, like this one or Bang Bang Chicken, at home.
The tangy orange chicken sauce complements everything it touches!
So, this is your go-to dish for those nights when you want something tasty but don't even have time for Chinese takeout.
It's quick, tasty, and no-nonsense – just how weeknight dinners should be!
Here's what you need to make this healthy orange chicken recipe with a spicy orange sauce:
- Fresh orange juice - Use pulp-free juice or strain out the pulp for a smooth glaze. If you are juicing fresh oranges, add the zest of one to the sauce for a stronger orange flavor.
- Honey - Use the recommended amount for a restaurant-style sauce. Brown sugar or alternative sweeteners can be used instead. About 2 tablespoons of sweetener can be substituted for 3 Tablespoons of honey.
- Soy sauce - Use low salt. Coconut aminos is a soy-free, gluten-free alternative.
- Seasoned rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar.
- Red pepper flakes make this a spicy orange chicken sauce. A range for the quantity is given. I prefer a mild spice level and used the lower end of the range. Add the full amount of red pepper flakes if you like it hot. And, if you don't want any heat at all, leave it out entirely.
- Garlic cloves are minced or pressed.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are cut into bite-sized pieces.
- OIive oil is used to cook the chicken pieces. Canola oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil can be used instead.
- Salt and pepper is to taste.
- Cornstarch is used to thicken the sauce.
We peeled carrots and the stalk of a head of broccoli into long ribbons. These vegetables cook very quickly in this form and are also visually appealing. Broccoli florets and thinly sliced carrots can be used instead.
Optional Garnishes: Sesame seeds and green onions.
Please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions.
Here's how to make this easy orange chicken recipe with a spicy glaze:
- Combine orange juice, honey, seasoned rice vinegar, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside. Sprinkle orange zest into the sauce for a stronger citrus flavor, if desired.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken in a single layer to the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, add strips of broccoli and carrots and saute until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add orange sauce and cornstarch slurry to the skillet with the chicken and toss to coat the chicken.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, and enjoy.
Store leftover orange chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator and up to 2 months in the freezer. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave using low heat.
What to Serve with Orange Chicken
Perfectly cooked jasmine white rice is a traditional pairing with Chinese Orange Chicken, especially at restaurants. These healthy side dishes also perfectly pair with this Asian-inspired dish:
- Stir-fried vegetables
- Fried rice
- Brown rice or quinoa
- Cucumber onion salad
- Asian slaw or Napa Cabbage Salad
- Crispy green beans
More Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Healthy Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium) or coconut aminos for soy-free, gluten-free version
- 2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste, leave out for no heat
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler or sliced thin
- 1 broccoli stalk shaved into ribbons or sliced thin; florets may be used instead.
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- green onions optional for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine orange juice, honey, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Add broccoli and carrots to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes more or until crisp tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl.
- Add sauce and cornstarch slurry to the skillet and toss to coat chicken and vegetables.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds and enjoy.