Forget takeout! This Chinese Orange Chicken recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and has a finger-licking good sauce that can be made as spicy as you like it!
This born and bred Florida gal always has orange juice in the fridge. Chances are you'll find a few fresh oranges in a bowl too. I'm guessing many readers usually have oj on hand as well. If so, you're on your way to making ever so yummy...
Chinese Orange Chicken
Boneless skinless chicken pieces are browned on the stove-top and coated with a sweet sauce made with good 'ole orange juice and honey...plus a few more ingredients you probably have on hand. Toss in some broccoli and carrot ribbons and dinner is ready faster than you can make a call for takeout. (And, we're talking just one pan to clean too!)
The nice thing about preparing a dish, that you might otherwise order out, is that you control the quality and amount of the ingredients, such as the type of chicken.
You can adjust the amount of heat. We like our sauce just a teensy bit spicy. I gave a range for the heat. I'm on the low-end. If you like it hot, and you know who you are, then add the full amount of red pepper flakes. And, if you don't like hot and spicy, leave the flakes out entirely.
Another important substitution we make at our house is coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. Not only does this ingredient make the dish soy-free, but it also ensures that it is gluten-free too.
As for the sweetness, a full 3 Tablespoons of honey is what you'd expect at a restaurant. But, I can easily be satisfied with a smaller amount (like about 2 Tablespoons) if I'm trying to shave off a few calories.
Using the full amount of honey, the sauce comes in at about 80, finger-licking good calories per person...plenty of sauce to coat ribbons of carrots and broccoli and just about any other veges you'd like to toss in. So, hold the phone and make Chinese Orange Chicken instead. 🙂
Chinese Orange Chicken
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos for soy-free, gluten-free version
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste, leave out for no heat
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Stalks from one bunch of broccoli peeled into ribbons*
- 3 carrots peeled into ribbons
- ¼ cup sliced green onions for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken pieces to pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Mix corn starch and water together in a small bowl.
- Add sauce and corn starch slurry to pan with chicken and toss to coat chicken.
- Add broccoli and carrot ribbons to pan and stir to coat with sauce.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!