This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato becomes a hearty meal when topped with your favorite Mexican toppings.
When we go all the way, we add salsa, black beans, cheese and top it with One Avocado Guacamole. It's a meatless meal that's perfect for a busy weeknight.
Leave off the cheese for a vegan version. Or, add extra protein and more veggies depending upon what's in the fridge.
It's a dinner idea we shared after we made Crock-Pot Baked Potatoes for a party and set out an extensive topping bar. Mexican sweet potatoes were by far the most popular theme from the 20+ options.
But, don't wait for a party to make these. You don't have to bake, grill or slow cook your potatoes either. Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave oven.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Microwave Oven
Sweet potatoes cook very quickly in the microwave. The length of time depends upon the number of potatoes and how large they are.
Poke plenty of holes in each potato with a fork so they don't explode and make a mess! The fork doesn't need to penetrate more than ⅛ of an inch.
Place the potato on a microwave safe plate and cook it for 4 minutes, turning the potato over half way through. Check the potato and see if you can easily stab it with a fork. If you can, it's done. Otherwise, cook and check in 1 minute increments until done.
Add 4 minutes to the initial cook time for each additional potato, following the same process.
Plan ahead tip: Wrap cooked potatoes in aluminum foil once they're done to keep them warm.
If you're short on time, but still want that crusty outside you get when sweet potatoes are grilled or baked...start cooking the potatoes in the microwave and finish them on the grill or in the oven!
Toppings for Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato
A sweet potato is a healthy alternative to a tortilla for your favorite Tex-Mex ingredients. It's perfect for gluten-free, Paleo, Whole 30, and so many other healthy diet plans.
Check out our ultimate list of ingredients for your Mexican sweet potatoes. Pick and choose depending upon likes and dietary needs:
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Healthy Taco Salad Dressing with 2 ingredients
- Cheese, such as Cotija cheese, Monterey Jack or feta
- Onions, including caramelized onions
- Microwave corn on the cob
- Tomatillo salsa verde
- Queso Fresco
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Green onion
- Chicken, tofu or even shrimp!
Now that's a fully loaded and very delicious Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato!
Please rate this recipe below! Pin it to your easy dinner Pinterest board and share a picture if you make it!
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1 sweet potato medium sized, scrubbed clean
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Guacamole
- Using a fork, prick the potato about 5 times hitting different areas of the potato.
- Place potato on microwave safe plate and microwave for 4 minutes, turning the potato over half way through.
- Potato is done when soft to touch and is easily pierced with a fork. Cook in one minute increments until done. The length of time will vary based upon the size of the potato.
- Make a slit in the top of the sweet potato and gently push the ends of the potato towards the middle to make an opening in the top.
- Using a fork, gently fluff the inside of the potato.
- Mix salsa into the fluffed sweet potato flesh.
- Layer beans, cheese and guacamole on top. Enjoy!