Monte Cristo grilled cheese is the ultimate sandwich. Ham and Swiss cheese are pressed between slices of bread slathered with cinnamon butter and a layer of raspberry jam. Grill it, top with powdered sugar and prepare to be wowed.
Brunch? Dessert? Dinner? Lunch? I’m not sure there is an occasion when a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich isn’t a good idea!
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and we are in full celebration mode this year. My youngest daughter tried cheese for the first time about a month ago. As a cheese lover, it is still hard for me to fathom. For 12 years it was not a part of her diet because of a food allergy. Well…she tried it and she loves it. Meanwhile, my older daughter could live on a diet of grilled cheese alone. Let’s just say that we are now a family united in our love of this comfort food. 🙂
I can’t think of a more decadent way to celebrate this food holiday than with a Monte Cristo grilled cheese sandwich. This combination is a sentimental favorite around here. And, I’d like to think it’s a little healthier than the deep fried version. A few switches you can make: whole wheat bread, low sugar jam and nitrate-free ham. You can use coconut oil instead of butter too.
Our celebration was complete with a pairing of Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato wine with the Monte Cristo grilled cheese. I just love this part of the description on their website, “Every family has a wild one and this lively Red Moscato is ours.” Sweet and fruity Red Moscato perfectly complements the raspberry jam…and slightly dessert-like feel of this sandwich.
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices of bread (any type - I used a whole wheat/white swirl)
- 16 slices of ham, thinly sliced (preferably nitrate-free)
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 16 Tablespoons raspberry jam (or substitute with strawberry or blackberry)
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine butter and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with the butter mixture using a pastry brush.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of jam on the un-buttered side of each slice of bread.
- Build each sandwich by layering 4 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese over the jam on one slice of bread.
- Place the second slice of bread, jam side down, on top to finish off each sandwich.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sandwiches to pan, in batches if necessary.
- Allow sandwich to cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until each side is slightly crisped and golden brown.
- Cut sandwich in half, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Visit Gallo Family Vineyards to learn more about their selection of wines, perfectly pair wine with various types of food or use the store locator. They offer 16 different wines year-round, so it’s easy find the perfect one. You can also stay connected through Facebook, Twitter,Instagram and YouTube.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. However, the opinions expressed herein are completely my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Be sure to check out the amazing variety of grilled cheese recipes developed by the Sunday Supper group! There’s something for everyone!
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!