I had no idea how easy it was to make baked apple chips. Well, I can finally cross making these crisps off my bucket list.
It turns out there are really just 2 and 1/2 steps involved. (Three steps, to be perfectly honest. One step is so short I only gave it a half number.)
- I thought I’d need an apple corer. But, you don’t. (Although, if you have one, you can use it.)
- I thought I’d have to dunk them or sprinkle some sugar on top. But, they are perfect au naturale.
- I thought I’d need a mandoline…Um, yes this is highly recommended. If you are good with a knife, then you don’t need one. Luckily, I have an inexpensive one in the drawer.
- I thought a silpat mat was necessary. However, parchment paper did the trick.
- I thought I would need some exotic apples to get a sweet crisp. Gala and Honey Crisp are delicious. But, red delicious apples were tasty too.
Although it only takes a few minutes to prepare this healthy treat, it does take about 2 hours to bake them. And, you can get a lot of things done around the house in 2 hours.
Easy Steps for Baked Apple Chips
Step 1. Cut the apples into slices that are about 1/8 inch thick. You can use a knife. However, a mandoline makes this job a breeze. I have an inexpensive one that cost about $15. It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
Step 1 and 1/2. Use the tip of a knife to fleck out any seeds. It’s easy to do and the seeds are only in a few slices.
Step 2. Place the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 2 hours in the oven at 225 degrees F, turning the apple slices over at about 1 and 1/2 hours. Since oven performance varies, keep an eye on the apple slices to make sure they reach the desired crispiness.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away! What are you waiting for?
- 2 apples, such as Gala or Honey Crisp. Red Delicious will work too!
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Cut apples into slices that are ⅛ inch thick using a madoline or knife.
- Place slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 and ½ hours.
- Turn over slices and bake for 30 minutes or until slices reach desired crispness.