I had no idea how easy it was to make baked apple chips. Well, I can finally cross making these crisps off my bucket list.
It turns out there are really just 2 and 1/2 steps involved. (Three steps, to be perfectly honest. One step is so short I only gave it a half number.)
- I thought I’d need an apple corer. But, you don’t. (Although, if you have one, you can use it.)
- I thought I’d have to dunk them or sprinkle some sugar on top. But, they are perfect au naturale.
- I thought I’d need a mandoline…Um, yes this is highly recommended. If you are good with a knife, then you don’t need one. Luckily, I have an inexpensive one in the drawer.
- I thought a silpat mat was necessary. However, parchment paper did the trick.
- I thought I would need some exotic apples to get a sweet crisp. Gala and Honey Crisp are delicious. But, red delicious apples were tasty too.
Although it only takes a few minutes to prepare this healthy treat, it does take about 2 hours to bake them. And, you can get a lot of things done around the house in 2 hours.
Easy Steps for Baked Apple Chips
Step 1. Cut the apples into slices that are about 1/8 inch thick. You can use a knife. However, a mandoline makes this job a breeze. I have an inexpensive one that cost about $15. It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
Step 1 and 1/2. Use the tip of a knife to fleck out any seeds. It’s easy to do and the seeds are only in a few slices.
Step 2. Place the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 2 hours in the oven at 225 degrees F, turning the apple slices over at about 1 and 1/2 hours. Since oven performance varies, keep an eye on the apple slices to make sure they reach the desired crispiness.
The surprising ease to make these baked apple chips makes me smile. I’m sure they will brighten your day too.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away! What are you waiting for?